The switch to the new Newsvine has been one filled with concern and anxiety. We all have grown fond of the site that allowed us to do what we love day in and day out and cannot understand why they would suddenly change everything we know.
I am astonished by the lack of user input that there seems to be in this new version of the site. I understand the message that Newsvine wants to send and their thought process behind the features they designed, but in the end a lot of the new features are not on our wish lists, in fact, they make the site a lot harder to use. Here are some of my least favorites:
1. The new front page. I want to see content from people I've never heard of before. I like making the new connections and, to be honest, I think the lack of users we'll be able to see will prevent new 'viners from discovering the things that I write.
2. The 15-group limit. I don't mind the limit, but did it really have to be so low? I'd prefer 25 groups, thank you.
3. The inability to moderate the public area of my articles and seeds.
4. The inability to reply to the public area of my articles and seeds.
5. The new design- reminds me of instagram/twitter. I don't like either. Plus, it's a mess. The old design was much more professional.
6. The new Adsense feature- hate it, hate it, hate it. I work hard and I can't collect because I am "too controversial", whatever that's supposed to mean- I refuse to be censored!!!
Despite these complaints, I am not joining the mass exodus that others are talking about. I will stay on Newsvine and continue to provide the original content that I have become known for. However, I have been taking a look at competitor sites recently, and I will consider leaving if I find a decent option if two of my main complaints (also common complaints across the board) aren't addressed in some way in the future:
1. The Adsense needs to go. I write because I love writing, but I don't want Google getting my money because I don't stick to their guidelines.
2. The design needs to be cleaned up.
I expect that #2 will happen naturally, since every website goes through changes when it figures out what works and what doesn't. I am more concerned about Adsense, which I hope gets ditched. Nobody on Newsvine can meet their censorship expectations, so why do we continue to work with them?
I ask that the users on the site give the new version a try before leaving, and that, having used Beta, they don't panic quite yet. Every site goes through a period like this and the issues will be worked out in the future. I will stay for now, and I hope everyone else does the same.